Total Pageviews

Saturday 24 December 2011

Perspective? The key to healing? No shit.


 I'm sure every one of us at some time or the other has been told to 'think positively'. Apparently thinking positively makes all the difference. I was pondering upon the truth (or the lack of it) in that statement.



  The thing is, how can simply 'thinking positive' change anything? Think about it logically, the situation will still be the same, we will still be stuck in the same place, we aren't really 'getting anywhere' by changing our perspective. That's why I had my reservations about therapy in the first place. I can't understand how talking about your feelings can change the situation in any way. If you want change, you have to do In fact, sometimes I feel that thinking positive is a form of self-deception. It's almost a form of escapism, if you ask me. Imagine this -  an adoptee comes to know that she was abandoned by her birth mother when she was barely 24 hours old. Now, thinking positive, I assume, would involve, thinking that she had her best interests in mind (giving the child a better family, a better life, etc.) But, in doing so, isn't the adoptee actually evading reality? Or evading the possibility that maybe, her birth mother may really have not given a damn. It's harsh, yes. (And yes, the adoptee in question was me.)


  So, is changing one's perspective the key to healing? I don't really know.


  Maybe changing perspective is the catalyst to healing. I feel the key to healing is and always will be - time.


  Hell no, I'm doing it again aren't I! Must. Stop. Over-analysing.




No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Makes sense?