Total Pageviews

Saturday 14 January 2012

Adoption and relationships


  Is therapy of any use in working your way through the barrage of emotions that arise while coming to terms with your unique status as an adoptee? I was thinking about this issue, as I am currently undergoing counselling, myself. What I realised is that the answers are obvious to me, I don't need the therapist to guide me because I know what I have to do to move out of this situation. But, I don't feel 'ready' as yet. I think, it's because of the 'why should I?' attitude - the 'why should I get on with my life the way everyone wants me to? I will jolly well take my own time in it' sort of thing. Ms. Nancy Verrier (1993) states that the basic issues in adoption which affect relationships - identity, trust, belonging and tolerating separation can be worked through in our current relationships themselves. Basically, these issues can be worked through in the framework of your current relations - with your friend, spouse, acquaintances, etc. I've decided to try this out, my adoption issues seem to have affected my relationships with my closest friends more than anything else, and it feels terrible.

What do you guys feel about this? Have you been successful at working their way through these problems? Do you ever feel lonely due to being adopted? Talk to me.



1 comment:

  1. Dear AJ,
    Why have you stopped writing? I feel your pain. I feel the exact same way. It soothes me to read your articles. I know you try to be analytical but please just let yourself feel what you really feel.

    Yours,
    Forever Lost

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? Makes sense?